So tell me….what do you LIKE about being obese
I recently posted on Facebook and asked when we as a collective agreed that it was ok to be obese or overweight, given that 60% of Australians are overweight and around 20 – 25% are obese. There was some really interesting feedback, and some serious back and forth from some Alpha type trainers (I was one of course!) To my mind, if more than 50% of the population is overweight, then the majority of people agree that it is acceptable, or else….you guessed it….they would do something about it.
We all judge others by their appearance, I do, you do, everyone does. So it was interesting to see some of the reactions from people that simply assume I was born a Personal Trainer, and didn’t come to it the hard way, studying part time whilst I worked 12 hour days, applying the lessons I had learned from my own poor eating and excuse ridden lifestyle for too many years.
So in a remarkable change for me, I’m not going to preach about the benefits of training and eating lean and clean. One of my EFM Health Club Geelong members is a psychologist, and amongst the numerous pearls of wisdom he bestows upon me, he reminds me to ’emphasise the positives’.
So….tell me….what do you LIKE about being overweight? In order to help you here, I’ve given you some things that being overweight does to you, so you can decide which of these floats your boat:
- Not being able to lift your body weight up if you are on the ground
- Having a massive amount of visceral fat around your internal organs
- Not being able to bend over to tie up your shoe laces, at least without having to hold your breath
- Knowing that you probably won’t live much beyond 60 so you won’t need to worry about superannuation and retirement
- Carrying an extra person’s bodyweight around every day
- Elevating your blood pressure through the roof
- Increasing the likelihood of having diabetes
- Being at a much higher risk of having a heart attack
- Having to constantly adjust your clothing so your tummy doesn’t peek out
- Having to go through your wardrobe for something that doesn’t make you look fat for the wedding you are going to
- Not being able to play sport or have fun at the park with your kids
- For Pete’s sake, not even being able to do a push up
- Helps you justify not doing stuff that would be really cool, like surfing, riding a bike, jogging, swimming, playing tennis, kicking a football…
I know I’ve only listed 13 things that are really cool about being obese, but you can already see how much fun it is. You don’t have to list them all, maybe you’ve got some ideas of your own?
Now before you go and get on your high horses here folks, understand where I am coming from. When I finally decided that I was sick of being obese, I was sitting in a car 10 hours a day, eating donuts to keep my energy up, drinking copious amounts of coffee and soft drink, and I just knew that I could do something about my weight whenever I wanted to. I just didn’t, for such a long time.
So the list above? That was my list of things I was dealing with.
And now? I still fight the food demons – but I know that life is better when you take up the fight, and you get to do awesome stuff with a healthier body!
So…tell me….what do you LIKE about being obese?
What does any of this have to do with being a participant in any of our BANG Fitness Adventures? Everything. Nothing. It’s up to you if there is a lesson in there for you or not.
The lesson is that no matter where you are in life, you can make a change – you can look at it from a different angle, you can get more out if it than you think you can.
You just have to make a start.
Please feel free to contact us about any of our upcoming Adventures – not only do you get to do some awesome stuff like Trekking Kokoda, or White Water Rafting in Bali, you also get to hang around people that have decided that they want to get everything out of life they can, and not wait for that mythical ‘better time’.